Outdoor entertaining – get ready now!
Get ready for outdoor entertaining!
Yes, spring and summer weather is right around the corner. No matter where you live, the winter weather will have you thinking about the sunshine, and outdoor entertaining. As the weather warms, outdoor activities expand the living space of your home.
In addition to being a great way to increase the usable space of your home, the addition of a patio, balcony, pool, spa, fountain, or walkways, combined with comfortable outdoor furniture can really enhance your home satisfaction.
Are you like us? We’ve spent the winter months cutting photos from magazines, looking online and thinking of ideas from houses we’ve seen. Sometimes trying to convey these ideas to a contractor can be a challenge. It’s a good idea to make a folder of photos and notes so that you can share these with your contractor and landscape architect.
Trends for outdoor design include an outdoor dining and bar area, possibly with a serving counter, built-in appliances, covered seating area, or firepit – or a combination of these features. Really, these outdoor spaces have become an additional “room” for your home. With our Southern California weather, we are able to enjoy these outdoor spaces year-round. Al fresco dining anyone?
Your backyard space can be warm and inviting. Selected plants and trees, along with colorful flowers create a place you can enjoy with friends and family.
As the spring weather arrives, expect to see more outdoor furniture and decor in the stores. Here are a few easy and inexpensive ways to freshen up your outdoor space:
- Add or change accent pillows or seat cushions on your existing furniture.
- Use new pots for existing potted plants to give a new look. Try using colorful pots that coordinate with your outdoor furniture.
- Add a fountain or water element.
- Use a trellis to cover a “blank” space on a wall or garden area. Plant the vine early in the season to give it time to grow and cover the trellis.
- Add solar accent yard lighting.
- Strings of “twinkle” lights on a patio or in trees are a fun way to brighten up the yard.
- Consider “yard art” – have fun with spinners, sculptures, wind chimes, yard signs, yard ornaments, bird feeders, etc. You can also add art elements to walls. Many of these items can be found at local art sales or art festivals, made by local artisans.
- Add an outdoor area rug as a design accent
If you are thinking of selling your home, please feel free to call us. We can recommend the improvements that will most appeal to a home buyer and make your home more desirable.
If you own a home and are wondering what improvements will add value and also be the best use of your budget, we would also be happy to consult with you.
Call us at (818) 952-0077 and we would be happy to come to your home and discuss what you can and “should” do to improve your outdoor landscaping and living space.