Saving Money in Your Los Angeles Home – Energy Saving Tips
In today’s world, saving energy is important. As a home owner, or a future home owner, there are many costs of home ownership to think about. One of these is the amount spent on utilities. Did you know that you can request an energy audit from your power company to find ways that you can reduce your monthly expenditures? Once you know what creates the bulk of the expense, you can use the following tips to reduce your utility bills in your Los Angeles home.
Energy Saving Tips for Your Los Angeles Home
- Update your appliances and fixtures to energy efficient models bearing the “Energy Star” label to save on water and energy bills.
- Replace any incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs. This can provide a significant savings on your lighting costs and keep your home cooler during the summer months.
- Unplug appliances that are not in use, but may be using electricity when plugged in. An example of this is a charger cord that is pulling electricity even when not plugged into the appliance that it is meant to charge. Unplug that TV in an unused room. Did you know that it is still using electricity when plugged in to power the clock in the TV, for example? Turn off the power strip when the electronics are not in use.
- Replace the air filter regularly on your furnace to help it work more efficiently.
- Have your heating and air conditioning units serviced regularly to ensure they are working properly and efficiently.
- Be aware of your thermostat use. A programmable thermostat is a great idea to regulate your home’s temperature, to reduce electricity use when you do not need to heat or cool your home. For example, when you are at work, you may program the thermostat to turn off the unit.
- Save money by lowering your hot water heater temperature, running shorter cycles in your washing machine or shortening your shower times.
- Propertly insulating your home, and repairing sources of energy leaks can reduce your energy costs. Caulk and/or seal cracks in windows and doors can help significantly. Window coverings can also help keep your home temperature more even.
- Landscaping around your home can help by providing shade.
For additional helpful tips, read on the Energy Star website: Save Energy at Home
Los Angeles homes for sale, recently listed:
$350,000 : 414 E 59th Place, Los Angeles4 beds, 2 full baths
$299,000 : 12736 Belhaven Avenue, Los Angeles3 beds, 2 full baths
$829,000 : 11045 TENNESSEE Avenue, Los Angeles2 beds, 3 full baths
$375,000 : 8630 S FIR Avenue, Los Angeles3 beds, 2 full baths
$549,000 : 1950 W 81ST Street, Los Angeles3 beds, 2 full baths
$739,000 : 1814 Pennsylvania Avenue, Los Angeles5 beds, 3 full baths
$949,000 : 3787 MOORE Street, Los Angeles3 beds, 2 full baths
$485,000 : 2329 N INDIANA Avenue, Los Angeles2 beds, 2 full baths
$1,695,000 : 6510 W 5TH Street , Unit 1, Los Angeles3 beds, 2 full baths
$2,995,000 : 8249 MARMONT Lane, Los Angeles4 beds, 4 full baths
See all Real estate in the city of Los Angeles.
(all data current as of 4/29/2017)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.